Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wisdom from a child

           Carson came to me one day carrying a purse that I haven't used in a while. "Momma why do you have this purse? All of your stuff is in your other purse. What is this one for?" I said, "Well, sometimes I like to use a different one." Carson responded, "but you don't need another one!"
          Ha! This is pretty comical because I don't have nearly as many purses as some people I know. I'm just not one of those gals who changes purses to match every outfit.  I'm usually carrying a bag for Canton, a bag for Collin (he's potty training ), a carseat, plus dragging the kids along. I'm doing good to remember to grab my purse! My purses generally consist of one for summer and one for winter. Hey, I never claimed to be a fashionista!
          Back to my original thought, I have to admit Carson did make a good point. How many purses can I carry at one time? I come from a family of bargain hunters. Sometimes, I get so caught up with getting a good deal that I buy things I don't need. So I responded "I don't really need more than one, I just wanted to get another one." We continued this conversation a little longer and I used this opportunity to help him understand the difference between wants and needs.  I suggested that the next time he asks for a toy at the store maybe we should decide if he really needs it or just wants it. How come nobody ever told me kids were like a built in conscience?! I guess I need somebody to keep me straight :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment